Friday, December 21, 2007

naked people for christmas


I posted a little while ago about the fact that certain months at BCF seem to be connected to certain events. It was about the time of the September Shindig. December is obviously the month set aside for the office Christmas Party.

There are so many rules about office Christmas parties. I have narrowed my rules down to three, which cover all circumstances that might arise during a work Christmas Party: say no, only have two drinks and don't take your clothes off.

Our Christmas Party was a fairly standard BCF do. I'm not going to say where it was or what type of event it was for fear of being 'outed' but there were some quite 'interesting' entertainment choices which will no doubt point you in my direction anyway.

There were models (male and female) in swimwear and the 'game' we all got to play was 'paint a slogan on the almost naked person'. You can imagine that Peters, Jones and Ben along with all the ABC macho cronies had a brilliant time (in fact I got the feeling this was an ABC firm tradition we have inherited as a result of the merger). They came up with incredibly witty slogans like 'you're hot' to paint on the the lower back of the girls, just above the bikini bottoms and even more clever was the arrows they drew pointing down the front of the bikini bottoms. It was like they had discovered for the first time that girls have a bum, a vagina and breasts and just to make sure they didn't forget where each part was they marked it with paint for later reference when, as they hoped out loud to anyone who could hear, they would 'land that babe in the blue bikini tonight'.

The male models in swimmers were also body painted but it was a fairly simple affair with either block colours and even the occasional attempt at an 'artistic' vine with flowers growing down an arm. No lewd comments though.

Why is it that BCFs generate this sort of culture? Surely in Australia in this day and age there is no need to bring naked people and throw them into the middle of an arena to entertain people?

But then again, maybe there is. I suspect that next year they will just take us all to a brothel and provide a big tab, much less offensive.


5 comments:

Maria said...

Hello Trixie. I just thought I'd let you know that I was just now directed to your blog. I am a naive little just admitted law student trying to find a job. I have much to learn. Thank you. Will keep reading.

Trixie Allan said...

welcome Maria, not sure I have much to teach but great to have you on board!

Anonymous said...

Trixie
I agree. What a predictable yawn. You'd have thought big city law firms had moved on from that sort of puerile "attraction" but obviously not!
Are you sure you want to stay with this lot?

Anonymous said...

Hi Trix - I have just started my GDLP and and one of my fellow students gave me your URL. I am most interested in the unique style of the Christmas Entertainment - Is this just a melbourne thing or is there a chanve the this could happen in sleeply little serial killer state?

Keep up the great work! interested inbnd

Trixie Allan said...

I assume your 'sleepy little serial killer state' is SA... I think this stuff is still going on all over Australia, not just in Victoria (despite some pople's suggestion that this is all made up). Good luck with GDLP, I assume that's the equivalent of the Victorian Leo Cussen course.