Wednesday, October 3, 2007

bad back opening

BCF got the better of Uncle yesterday afternoon. He has been fighting off a cold for a week or so now and after losing his voice at lunch time, he somehow managed to put his back out while pulling files off the top shelf of the bookcase in his office.

Uncle has had a bad back for a while and yesterday's filing really pushed it over the edge. He was on the floor of his office in pain for some time. He couldn't scream for help because he had lost his voice. His secretary eventually found him and called an ambulance. Kate and I visited him at Epworth last night. Apparently he will be there for a week or so.

It's an interesting development in the partnership game really. Ben is being considered for partner at tomorrow's partner meeting. He has gone to great lengths to get me to lean on Uncle (with the photos and his fake-nice), which I have done to a certain degree, and though I am sure Uncle will still vote, I am not sure how.

He can't speak so a teleconference is out. He has no computer access so an email is out. Maybe one of the partners will collect a written vote from him during visiting hours tonight?

Obviously, I need to cover my back but, even more, I would love to rip the rug out from under Ben.

I have considered my options and decided that the best course of action is to send Uncle a gift, from Ben. It will help butter him up prior to the vote. I mentioned this idea to Ben over tea this morning and he was quite taken with my initiative.

Uncle loves art, so I thought a small sculpture would be the perfect gift. Something small enough for him to keep in the hospital but also something permanent he can keep forever. And not too feminine, like flowers.

I have spent most of the morning making the sculpture. A colander (from the office kitchen), some paper clips (from the stationery cupboard) and a very creative use of bull dog clips and staples (also from the stationery cupboard)have made quite an impressive piece of art.

At lunch time I am getting a small plaque engraved with the following:

'Untitled'
Anon. - 2007



I will deliver the sculpture to Uncle tonight, as a gift from Ben.

Now I just have to work out how I am going to bill the time I spent making it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Strange that my Partner put his back out this morning, I am on to you Trixie Allan. I am coming to the seventeenth floor to get you for a coffee run now.