Friday, August 31, 2007

kitchendropping

I know that technically when people are in a conference room having a conversation with the door shut it generally means that whatever they are talking about is private or (in a law firm) privileged in some way. The problem with our office is that one of the conference rooms is right next to the staff kitchen. And sometimes, if you balance in the right direction, and hold a glass to the wall, you can hear what is being said.

This morning, I just happened to be in the kitchen making my morning tea when the monthly partners' breakfast was wrapping up. Uncle and Peters were the only ones left and with the door slightly ajar they seemed to be having a very confidential discussion about something. Which, of course, peaked my interest.

So, being the excellent lawyer I am, I pulled out my investigator glass and placed it against the wall, leaning in to hear what I could.

I managed to detect the following:

Uncle: I absolutely.... it's about time....
Peters: He is so headstrong.... Trixie is....
Uncle: Yes... ridiculous really...
Peters: I agree
Uncle: I insist. It must happen.

About 5 minutes later I got this email from Uncle:

Trixie,

Please take RSVPs and collect money for the September Shindig. I'd appreciate a spreadsheet setting out who's coming, who's not and the reasons why.

Uncle


Clearly, Uncle, Peters and Ben are part of some evil plot to demote me to office admin girl. Senior Associate is clearly just a couple of words round here which mean 'lady lacky' who gets to do the crap tasks - oh to be back in Broadmeadows!

No comments: